Skip to main content

And We're Off!

And We're Off


I had decided all along that I needed my mum to be at the birth as well as Jamie, the reason for this, other than she is amazing support and my best friend - someone had to look after Jamie while I went through labor! No, I am not a single mum with a child named Jamie, he is my fiance, my very annoying fiance!

We arrive and are introduced to a lovely student midwife. There is a bed with what I can only describe as a puppy pad on it, also in the room was a gym ball, a fridge, a dog bowl, coffee, tea, water etc and a radio. Party time!
Unfortunately the fridge was empty and not containing any party essentials! 

Student midwife returns to time my contractions.
Me - "I think I am having one"
SM- "You think?"
Me - "Mmm....yeah it is one..........It's gone now"
SM - "You dealt with that well, you must have a high pain threshold."
Great I thought, this shouldn't be too bad then. The next thing I can hear another lady screaming in labor. I remember thinking I hope I don't scream or anything, I don't like drawing attention to myself! (Little did I know......)!

Two hours passes and they are going to break my waters. Out comes a hook (where do they think they are putting that!!!) to break them and it's a very strange feeling! Then the fun began! 

Mum - "Use the gas and air, it will help". 
Me - "No it makes me feel funny I don't like it"

At this point I was in A LOT of pain! Still wasn't taking the gas and air but did ask the SM for some pain relief. She couldn't administer it as she wasn't qualified, so she went on the hunt for the midwife to do so. 
Over an hour and a half later and still no pain relief. Turns out I was too far along to have any, I thought begging would help, it didn't! So I finally got persuaded to use the gas and air. WOW!
It was like everything was at a distance and my head was about to float away. I soon got the hang of it and it was my new best friend. 

My new best friend turned into an enemy sometimes. At one point I bit it so hard I managed to pull it apart, then it hit me in the nose, then it hit me in the eye. My new best friend had clearly moved my mouth from its original place on my face because I couldn't bloody find it anymore! It wasn't helping with the pain very well either! Why didn't it like me anymore!

New position acquired - the birthing stool. Now I knew why there was a dog bowl in the room, it was to catch my dignity as I looked like I was sat on a toilet with a room of people watching me, telling me to stop screaming (NO).

MW - "Soon I want you to pant during the pushing and in a few more contractions we will have a baby!" 
*A few more, please no, please tell me you mean a couple more*.

Me - "I want to go home now, please can I go home!"
MW - "No you can't go home you are having a baby".

The babies head was only just visible. About the size of a 2p piece visible.

So the panting never got chance to begin, another feeling to push arrived, the next thing I flew back into Jamie who was supporting me and everyone was suddenly saying things like "Oh my god!" "Wow!" 
I had no idea what happened, was something wrong! 
Nope, I had fired my baby out all in one! Into the dog bowl! The midwife managed to catch her by her leg so she only half landed in the dog bowl!

Well that was an experience!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jab Day

Jab Day The day all mum's dread - jab day! The thought of our tiny person being jabbed and hurt is not something we want our precious bundle of joy to go through, but is necessary to keep them well and healthy.  One day she will understand - actually, no she won't because thankfully she won't remember these first few doses of pain.  I wasn't too worried about taking her for them, me and needles don't mind each other and I feel if I keep the same attitude around her when she receives them then hopefully she will grow up with the same view. First appointment of the day is our six week check up, which is actually at eight weeks (?) and I lug her up the stairs in her car seat to the doctors room. The rate she is growing I won't be able to lift her in it soon!!! I need to start doing some bicep curls (with a glass of wine of course).  The doctor was certainly a character and liked to get to point. Dr - "Does she eat, sleep, see and hear?&quo

Party Girl

Party Girl My Gran's birthday party, I had been looking forward to it so much and it didn't fail to be a fantastic evening! With so many family members there and half of which Mia had not met yet. I dressed her in a beautiful pink and blue dress ready to impress. Me and Jamie didn't really need to worry about what we wore because everyone would be looking at her.  From the moment we arrived she was cradled by loving relatives. The smiles she brings to the faces of the people I love was beautiful, I felt so proud and lucky.  Before I knew it I had a list of people requesting they get the next cuddle with our daughter. "Come over to us next, we want a cuddle?" There I was getting ready for my cuddles, but each time they meant my daughter! She was hogging all the attention!!! Where the heck are my cuddles!!!!  Ha - only kidding! From one relative to the next my baby was going from person to person like 'pass the parcel' but she was loving

5 Things I Hate About Parenting

5 Things I Hate About Parenting Don't worry, one of my hates is not my own child...not today anyway! I love being a parent, I could never have imagined just how much I would enjoy it, but since it started I have slowly built up a small list of things that really do get on my nerves! I'm sure I'm not the only one.  1. Car Seats They do a brilliant job of keeping your tiny person safe, but boy are they heavy and as your baby piles on the pounds the two combined seems near impossible to lift, I seriously need to start working on my arms, although I imagine by the time I have finished lugging her about I will look like Popeye!  And the struggle of getting those clips together to plug in, easy at first, harder when they insist on wriggling like its some sort of game.  "Please sit still while mummy tries to keep you safe and plugged in!" *Wriggle, wriggle, kick!* 2. Dummies They are slippery little buggers!!! You have finished sterilising the