Skip to main content

Jab Day

Jab Day


The day all mum's dread - jab day! The thought of our tiny person being jabbed and hurt is not something we want our precious bundle of joy to go through, but is necessary to keep them well and healthy. 
One day she will understand - actually, no she won't because thankfully she won't remember these first few doses of pain. 
I wasn't too worried about taking her for them, me and needles don't mind each other and I feel if I keep the same attitude around her when she receives them then hopefully she will grow up with the same view.

First appointment of the day is our six week check up, which is actually at eight weeks (?) and I lug her up the stairs in her car seat to the doctors room. The rate she is growing I won't be able to lift her in it soon!!! I need to start doing some bicep curls (with a glass of wine of course). 
The doctor was certainly a character and liked to get to point.

Dr - "Does she eat, sleep, see and hear?"
Me - "Yes, yes, yes and yes!"
Dr - "She s growing...good.... she has arms, fingers, legs and all her toes...she is perfect."

Well in that case I could be a doctor! I could have just sent him a picture and description and signed her off in her little red book for him! 
He was lovely really, she didn't cry once and neither did I. Other than having a conversation about how useful Jamie is we were done.

"Jamie is as useful as having a toddler, he makes a mess, demands food, picks his nose and misses the toilet."

Next up was a trip downstairs to the nurse. Car seat and baby lugged around the surgery certainly not as gently as the first few times she was carried in her car seat. A 45 minute wait in the waiting room involved me staring at her, giving her my evil eye each time she looked like disturbing the peace. Being an average childless person you don't think of these things, but once you have your tiny person with you it suddenly seems the pressure is on to be the mum who can keep her baby from crying. I don't know why we mum's worry about this as it is completely normal and healthy for a baby to open up its lungs and scream the place down every now and again, but you can guarantee they always do it in the quietest places. Thankfully though she did me proud and stayed nice and quiet. 

Jab time is upon us! 

*Mental reminder to carry her a bit more carefully into the nurses room*

I got all my questions out of the way while we could still have a conversation and hear each other, because it was inevitable that she was going to cry and I don't blame her! You cry my little munchkin!!! Three jabs, 2 in one thigh and one in the other and some medicine to swallow. That's a lot going on for a baby who doesn't understand or know what is going on. 
The worst part is having to hold her leg still while she tries to wriggle it free and then the shock as her eyes burst open wider with the sharp scratch of the jabs. Poor pickle!

Calpol is recommended to keep your tiny persons temperature down as the jabs can cause it to rise. Hers did rise a bit but luckily the Calpol kept it at bay. Well, once I had the right medicine, choosing to buy Boots own because it was £1 cheaper, then after I got home from the jabs I realised it was for 3 months and older! Bugger! So a quick trip to the shops to get Calpol which cost me £19......okay it didn't really but it did mean I bought chocolate, crisps, Pepsi Max and pizza! So my £1 saving didn't really work out too well!

The next few days after the jabs she was not a happy baby. Lots of crying, gone off her bottle and waking through the night again. It's horrible to see my baby feel under the weather! Lots of cuddles and love for her! 
Image result for keep calm and get a jab


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Party Girl

Party Girl My Gran's birthday party, I had been looking forward to it so much and it didn't fail to be a fantastic evening! With so many family members there and half of which Mia had not met yet. I dressed her in a beautiful pink and blue dress ready to impress. Me and Jamie didn't really need to worry about what we wore because everyone would be looking at her.  From the moment we arrived she was cradled by loving relatives. The smiles she brings to the faces of the people I love was beautiful, I felt so proud and lucky.  Before I knew it I had a list of people requesting they get the next cuddle with our daughter. "Come over to us next, we want a cuddle?" There I was getting ready for my cuddles, but each time they meant my daughter! She was hogging all the attention!!! Where the heck are my cuddles!!!!  Ha - only kidding! From one relative to the next my baby was going from person to person like 'pass the parcel' but she was loving

5 Things I Hate About Parenting

5 Things I Hate About Parenting Don't worry, one of my hates is not my own child...not today anyway! I love being a parent, I could never have imagined just how much I would enjoy it, but since it started I have slowly built up a small list of things that really do get on my nerves! I'm sure I'm not the only one.  1. Car Seats They do a brilliant job of keeping your tiny person safe, but boy are they heavy and as your baby piles on the pounds the two combined seems near impossible to lift, I seriously need to start working on my arms, although I imagine by the time I have finished lugging her about I will look like Popeye!  And the struggle of getting those clips together to plug in, easy at first, harder when they insist on wriggling like its some sort of game.  "Please sit still while mummy tries to keep you safe and plugged in!" *Wriggle, wriggle, kick!* 2. Dummies They are slippery little buggers!!! You have finished sterilising the