Skip to main content

Who Let The Dogs Out, Who, Who

Who Let The Dogs Out, Who, Who


Let me introduce you to my other babies, they have been a bit left out recently, but they have still been my cuddly, friendly, supportive boys. 

Since falling pregnant, to bringing home a tiny little human, they have sensed changes and adapted fairly well. Dogs are intelligent animals and are very affectionate, loyal pets. 

I read somewhere that dogs can sense you are pregnant, my border collie (Dexter) seemed to have sensed this because he started to change when I walked him. It wasn't until after the changes it clicked in my brain why. One day, he just left my side in the park to run up to a big German Sheppard and bark at him, I had to run over, apologise and put him on his lead. He didn't get aggressive with the dog just barked. It was so out of character and a bit odd. This happened again with another big dog a separate time, then it dawned on me, he was protecting me. He must have sensed the change in me and had started protecting me from bigger dogs even though they weren't aggressive or particularly near me. Lovely really, but I didn't want people to think I had a horrible dog, so Jamie had to come with me to walk the dogs. He never did it when Jamie was with me, Dexter must have felt that Jamie would protect me and he didn't need to anymore. 

Since bringing home our daughter they have slowly gotten used to her. At first Dexter was scared of her and Marley wanted to lick her! Marley has always been a softy and loves children, he wants to follow them, play with them and lick them! Of course we didn't let him and had to teach him that she isn't someone to play with just yet. Dexter just wanted to stay away from her and he sulked a lot! It was like he knew he wasn't the baby anymore, he was now the middle child! 


Now for the fun my dogs still bring me despite adapting to a big change in their lives.

Marley loves to nudge things! If it wobbles, Marley nudges it and then stares at it in amazement! So when she is in her baby swing it is safe to say I don't need to turn it on! Although not so helpful when I am trying to put her dummy in her mouth, lets just say she does still have both her eyes... just!

I have also read that Border Collies are very intelligent and quick learners. I nickname Dexter - Houdini. He gets out of any room you put him in, luckily when he was a puppy he stayed in a dog crate at night times, so that is the only thing he can't escape. 
Now for the new trick he has learnt.... I am busy with the baby, changing her nappy, something catches my eye outside... there's Dexter in the back garden going for the toilet, I go downstairs and he has come back in and shut the door behind him. No word of a lie! He opened the front door, let him self out, came back in and the door then swung itself shut. He has done this three times, so it wasn't an accident, my dog now lets himself out for the toilet. 
He also hates the house phone, I ignored it the other day as no one, including me, knows my phone number. He ran over and picked it up off its holder, not only that but he did the one thing I was avoiding and answered it! 

It is definitely like having 3 children! 

Well.... 4 when Jamie is home.

Shame Jamie isn't as intelligent as our dogs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jab Day

Jab Day The day all mum's dread - jab day! The thought of our tiny person being jabbed and hurt is not something we want our precious bundle of joy to go through, but is necessary to keep them well and healthy.  One day she will understand - actually, no she won't because thankfully she won't remember these first few doses of pain.  I wasn't too worried about taking her for them, me and needles don't mind each other and I feel if I keep the same attitude around her when she receives them then hopefully she will grow up with the same view. First appointment of the day is our six week check up, which is actually at eight weeks (?) and I lug her up the stairs in her car seat to the doctors room. The rate she is growing I won't be able to lift her in it soon!!! I need to start doing some bicep curls (with a glass of wine of course).  The doctor was certainly a character and liked to get to point. Dr - "Does she eat, sleep, see and hear?&quo

Party Girl

Party Girl My Gran's birthday party, I had been looking forward to it so much and it didn't fail to be a fantastic evening! With so many family members there and half of which Mia had not met yet. I dressed her in a beautiful pink and blue dress ready to impress. Me and Jamie didn't really need to worry about what we wore because everyone would be looking at her.  From the moment we arrived she was cradled by loving relatives. The smiles she brings to the faces of the people I love was beautiful, I felt so proud and lucky.  Before I knew it I had a list of people requesting they get the next cuddle with our daughter. "Come over to us next, we want a cuddle?" There I was getting ready for my cuddles, but each time they meant my daughter! She was hogging all the attention!!! Where the heck are my cuddles!!!!  Ha - only kidding! From one relative to the next my baby was going from person to person like 'pass the parcel' but she was loving

5 Things I Hate About Parenting

5 Things I Hate About Parenting Don't worry, one of my hates is not my own child...not today anyway! I love being a parent, I could never have imagined just how much I would enjoy it, but since it started I have slowly built up a small list of things that really do get on my nerves! I'm sure I'm not the only one.  1. Car Seats They do a brilliant job of keeping your tiny person safe, but boy are they heavy and as your baby piles on the pounds the two combined seems near impossible to lift, I seriously need to start working on my arms, although I imagine by the time I have finished lugging her about I will look like Popeye!  And the struggle of getting those clips together to plug in, easy at first, harder when they insist on wriggling like its some sort of game.  "Please sit still while mummy tries to keep you safe and plugged in!" *Wriggle, wriggle, kick!* 2. Dummies They are slippery little buggers!!! You have finished sterilising the